Sunday, October 5, 2014

The best lens you can buy is a $300 kayak.

On a recent trip to Bayou Sauvage NWR I met a professional wildlife photographer.  The professional's advice was " the best lens you can buy is a $300 kayak".  Acting on his advice I purchased a 10' basic kayak from Walmart.  I also picked up a 40L dry bag to protect my camera.

Sun Dolphin Kayak at Walmart
Attwood Dry Bag

WOW, I should have purchased the kayak much sooner.  My first trip was two hour slow and relaxing cruise on Bayou Castine in Mandeville, LA.  I launched at the North Lake Nature Center.  The kayak more than met my expectations. It provided a stable platform while photographing and allowed me to quietly maneuver very close to wildlife.    In the case of the Heron (pictured below) I was able to maneuver within about 10 yards of the bird without spooking it.  Most importantly the camera remained dry. My only regret was using my cheap kit lens out fear of water damage should I capsize the kayak.  I am planning a trip soon to Cane Bayou in Lacombe, La.

Below are few links I found helpful.

Paddling.net
Louisiana Travel
Northlake Nature Center

 A few examples of my photographs from the Bayou Castine kayaking trip.

Heron at Bayou Castine
Wet Raccoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment