Sunday, February 7, 2016

Red-shouldered Hawk at Fontainebleau State Park

Red-shouldered Hawk overlooking Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville, LA.




















  Captured this image of a Red-shouldered hawk today at Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville, LA.  I first spotted the hawk about 100 yards away perched in a tree overhanging a small pond.  The sun to my back the situation was perfect for a great photo.  I took several quick shots before attempting to move closer.  I moved in closer but the sun was now at my 2 o'clock causing the hawk to be silhouetted.  I again got off a few shots before moving to a new position.  After many slow and quiet steps I was in a better position for the shot.  Now within 30 yards of the hawk I crouched down behind a bush and steadied for the shot.  This was the closest I have been to a hawk, they often fly away at the sound of approaching humans.  My lucky day I guess!

Red-Shouldered Hawk perched in Cypress Tree


1 comment: