Monday, February 8, 2016

Tracking a wild hog at Fontainebleau State Park

Many times while roaming around Fontainebleau State Park I would hear and smell the feral hogs who called this place home.  I was never able to get close enough for a shot, often scaring them into a squealing dash for cover. This day, Aug 29th 2015 was different.  I first heard the sound of the hogs moving slowing as they tore up the forest ground in search of food.  As I moved toward the sounds, I noticed several piles of hog droppings.  Following the trail of droppings I was suddenly eye to eye with a small feral hog.  We both stood still, looking at each other wondering who would move first.  I slowly raised my camera  to my eye getting only one or two shots off before my new friend bolted away in fear.  Since then I have only seen a few large hogs and decided it is safer to avoid contact.  Maybe next time I will go after the BIG ONES.

Eye to eye with a feral hog at Fontainebleau State Park.




















Below are few links to some more
information about feral hogs in Louisiana.


No comments:

Post a Comment